Restaurant: Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
Area: Robson Street/West End
Address: 777 Thurlow St.
Parking: Street Parking/Valet Parking
Phone: (604) 669-1940
Hours of Operation: Monday – Sunday 11:00am -11:00pm (Happy Hour: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent
Spring is here! What does that mean? The PATIO SEASON is here! I am absolutely in love with Vancouver during the spring and summer season. My body is telling me to go out and soak up all the sunshine while I can. And what better way to do this than to sit back and relax on patio with an icy cold drink and yummy foods? On this sunny bright day, we’ve decided to take advantage of the happy hour at Joe Fortes on Thurlow Street. I am pretty sure most of you have at least heard of this place since it is such an iconic restaurant. I’ve been coming back to Joe Fortes for brunch and dinner but I just love their happy hour menu which is offered from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm daily. To be honest, I think it is one of the best valued happy hour menus out of all the ones I’ve been to. The only setback is that you need to sit at the bar for their happy hour menu and it can get a bit too crowded especially if you are like me who orders a lot of food! However, on this visit, we were seated upstair on their amazing rooftop patio (I’m embarrassed to admit that I did not know they had a patio….)!
Fresh Oysters – 4/5
- Buck a shuck!
- Served icy cold on the half shell with classic cocktail sauce
- Their oysters tasted really fresh and somewhat creamy in a good way.
Jumbo Tiger Prawn Cocktail– 4/5
- Served with fresh horseradish, cocktail sauce.
- Tiger prawns are HUGE and tasted very fresh and springy.
Oyster Rockefeller – 3.5/5
- 4 pieces of local oysters, spinach, pernod, hollandaise
- It had really good creamy cheesy savoury taste.
Truffle Parmesan Fries – 2.5/5 , Jumbo Tempura Prawns – 3.5/5 , Fried Oysters – 3.5/5
- Truffle Parmesan Fries $4.95, Jumbo Tempura Prawns $10.95, Fried Oysters $7.95
- Here you go! all the deep fried menus on one plate!
- Truffle Parmesan Fries were thick-cut fries and they were good but not amazing (full of potato flavour).
- Jumbo Tempura Prawns (3 pieces) were served with togarashi mayo on the side and they were massive and deep fried nicely.
- Fried Oysters were also very crispy outside (different type of batter than tempura prawns) while the oyster inside were juicy.
After trying their happy hour menu (half priced appetizers), I don’t think I can come back here for their dinner anymore lol. I’m one of those people who love to order bunch of appies rather than having one main for each person so this is just perfect for me! They just started their late night menu not too long ago and it starts from 9:00 pm to 11:00pm daily (some of their appies are half priced). Joe Fortes definitely offers solid foods and it is definitely perfect place for patio dining in Downtown Vancouver.